Popular Posts

Thursday, October 06, 2005

COTSE-I have no such right

No I didn't write the articles from COTSE, I wish I had, but Steve made them, they are all his, I just agree with him completely

COTSE-I have no such right:

I do not have a right not to be offended. If speech offends me I do not have a right to ban it. If a thought offends me I do not have a right to claim that it should not be expressed. Yet all this politically correct bullshit is showing me that this is untrue, that if someone finds it offensive then it should be banned. This is wrong.

Too much concern is being placed upon 'is it offensive to anyone'. This entire approach falls apart fast if you try to apply it fairly. If the hypothetical 'they' have a right not to be offended then I must have that same right, correct? Well, that is good because I'm offended when someone else takes offense at something.

Oops, instant 'I'm offended' checkmate. Who counts more, the person offended at something or me offended at him being offended? I quickly find out it is not me. As a heterosexual white male minority I have no rights and so I am usually just ignored. But wait, that's not applying it fairly.

Ok, so I do not have the right to never have my beliefs challenged. I do not have the right to never be offended by anything. But if that is true then neither does anyone else. Why? Because there is no such right that can be fairly applied. If I find something offensive, I can speak out in opposition to it or I can ignore it, but I could not in any fairness ban it without stepping on someone else's rights.

The world is a massive mixture of cultures, beliefs, and ideals, so many differences that everything is offensive to someone somewhere. If everyone was given the right to never be offended it would mean that no belief or culture could ever be challenged. This is because if applied fairly it would mean 'I'm offended' checkmate nearly every time.

For example, I'm offended by little unidentified red things in macaroni salad and I think they should be banned. Even if I did have that right, I wouldn't be able to ban it anyway. Because certainly someone out there would claim that any macaroni salad"

No comments: